Got no plans on the itinerary? This is how we suggest you attack your free day
Pick one restaurant, food item, or destination
Is there a famous dish from the city you're in? A locally renowned street food stall? A suggestion from a friend? Some place you saw on a tv show that looked delicious? Is the city known for a specific historical site? museum? Park or boulevard? No need to overwhelm yourself: just pick one spot, and commit to going there.
- Find it on a map and plan your route there
- Let's hope its open, but if not - hey its an adventure!
If you can walk there, walk there
So you decided what your destination is. Now, look at a map of the city and where your destination is in proximity to your location. If it's walkable, go for the walk. Taking a walk is one of the best ways to discover a new city.
- If its too far to walk, take the metro, tram, bus or bike: Learning the public transport systems in a city not only makes your life easier but it's often cheaper than a taxi and gives you a taste of how the locals get around.
Find a view
Getting a new vantage point is always a great way to discover a new city. Head for a park or an old church that has access to its rooftop or bell tower. Maybe even go on the hunt for a hotel or public building that has a rooftop view deck, bar, or restaurant.
Go at your own pace
Stop by a local cafe to have a coffee or rest your legs on a park bench to watch the world go by. Do some people watching. Take in the sights, smells, and sounds around you for a moment. Don't be afraid to ask a local a question or two while you're wandering. Make a wrong turn if you want or get lost exploring an old alley. It will be these moments that you will remember.
Bring some essentials
When we're walking around a city there are some items we love to have in our day pack:
- A camera for making memories
- A notebook with a pen for journaling or making notes
- An umbrella incase of a midday rain (this could happen during any season in most of western Europe!)
Join a free walking tour or meet-up
Free walking tours are a great way to get to know the city with a local. Most often these tours will just cost you a tip at the end which either goes to the tour guide or to the organization that runs the city tours. Learn about the history, culture, and food of the city you're in from a local!
Want to know where to eat and where to stay? Head over to our instagram page where we post city / food guides and other recommendations.